Tuesday, April 18, 2017

New Spring 2017 Murals!


There are lots of new murals going up this spring, and more in the design and planning stages. As the times change, so is TAB’s Mural program. We are finding that many of our muralists feel strongly about a variety of civic issues. These inspiring stories need to be told.

Deportations, Racism, Standing Rock and Domestic Violence are a few of the subjects TAB artists are discussing. We are finding a massive groundswell of support deep within Tucson neighborhoods for this dialogue. As we talk about these ideas, and share our stories we are learning of even more issues, stories of valor and overcoming huge personal barriers, of coming to America, of pain, hope and recovery. By telling these stories we are coming together as a community to heal, to mend and beautify these places we live, work and play.

We invite you to join us in supporting this new era for TAB’s Mural program.
#WeHaveSomethingToSay

We have a number of new muralists preparing designs. Each of these small and mid sized mural projects cost between $1000 to $8000 to produce. These murals are completely funded by small and large donations from people like you who love murals. To make a tax deductible investment click here.

Emma Bayne “Rebirth” 2017


“My mural is about rebirth and creativity. It is a model of new life and holds personal significance in that I am starting on this new phase of life, growing older and going to college. I believe that life is circular and death only leads to new and beautiful life. In the mural the skulls represent the past and death, the butterfly of sacred rejuvenation and originality and the spiral of the cycle of rebirth. I chose the tiger swallowtail butterfly because it is my dad’s favorite animal, his symbol of sorts and my dad is the biggest inspiration and motivation in me pursuing art. I tied in the desert flora and fauna to represent Tucson’s amazing wildlife, and used bright colors to give the feel of fresh beginnings. I hope this mural evokes happiness and inspires to community to be thankful of life and to use their resources and time in creative ways. I love being able to give something back to the community which raised me by doing something I love to do.”

Sneha Srinivasan

Ever since I got to college, I dreamed of painting a mural. I thought it was a way to make a lasting impact on Tucson. So opportunity finally came up to paint one, I was ecstatic. To be able to share a message of hope with a community that I love is such a joy. In a present time so riddled with hate and turmoil, I wanted to see how art could spread a message of kindness, hope and love. And I know how cliche it all sounds, but I truly believe that over all the waves of trials and tribulations, as a population we can come together for just a second, no matter our race, gender or sexuality, and grow a brighter future.

Nikki Ortiz “La Paz”

Teresa Altamirano (Mural in Progress)
Mural in Progress
Mural Design
"I have been drawing for as long as I can remember. I went to college and took many fine art courses as well as digital art courses. I have an associates degree in Illustration. I draw, paint and have done a few sculptures in the past. I almost gave up being an artist a few years ago thinking I would get no where. But I realized that is stupid, because no one should give up what they do and who they are. This will be my first mural and I would be so happy to have my work displayed as part of my city. I hope to expand on this and do many more in the future.”



No comments:

Post a Comment